The Golden State Killer is a name that refers to a then-unidentified man that terrorized California from 1974-1986, committing dozens of rapes, murders and burglaries throughout the state. The name “Golden State Killer” was given to him in 2013 by a crime writer who was raising awareness for the case. It took until the 2000s for DNA evidence to link all of these crimes together, crimes that had been attributed to three different pseudonyms by news media back in the day.
The Golden State Killer case came to an end in June 2020 when 74-year-old Joseph DeAngelo plead guilty to 13 of the infamous murders from the 70s-80s. WeaponsG.com has compiled a list of what we think are the most essential details pertaining to one of America’s most notorious true crime stories.
Before that, a brief summary:
Joseph DeAngelo (probably) began his crime spree in Visalia, California (mid 70s) where he would break into homes and steal small items with sexual motivation. His Visalia career was so prolific that the news dubbed him the “Visalia Ransacker” at the time. These crimes turned into murder one day when a man named Claude Snelling confronted the ransacker (who had subdued his daughter). The ransacker immediately shot and killed him, which is probably the first murder committed by the Golden State Killer.
The Visalia Police eventually did a stake-out in an attempt to catch him in the act, which culminated into a gun fight that the ransacker escaped from (while shooting a police officer’s flashlight).
Around a half a year after the Visalia spree, the Golden State Killer had stepped up his modus operandi and began to rape and kill. He was now in Northern California, terrorizing communities with more heinous tactics, and would eventually be responsible for around 50 rapes and 2 murders.
The news and police had been unaware of the connection with the Visalia criminal, and dubbed this suspect the “East Area Rapist“.
“Most victims had seen (or heard) a prowler on their property before the attacks, and many had experienced break-ins. Police believed that the offender would conduct extensive reconnaissance in a targeted neighborhood — looking into windows and prowling in yards — before selecting a home to attack.
The female victim was usually forced to tie up her male companion before she was bound. The bindings were often so tight that the victims’ hands were numb for hours after being untied. He separated the couple, often stacking dishes on the male’s back and threatening to kill everyone in the house if he heard them rattle. He moved the woman to the living room and often raped her repeatedly, sometimes for several hours.“via Wikipedia
The East Area Rapist attacks stopped in 1979 when Joseph DeAngelo moved to Southern California and began his crime spree as the Original Night Stalker (dubbed by the media). During this period (1979-1986), the Golden State Killer would commit ten of his thirteen murders and was undoubtedly piquing in his criminal career.
Matched DNA evidence in 2001 would eventually confirm that the East Area Rapist and the Original Night Stalker were the same person (leading to the nickname EARONS).
Here are some of the most interesting details of the Golden State Killer case:
- Joseph DeAngelo was a respected and somewhat high ranking police officer during his crime spree, which is probably what allowed him to (almost) get away with everything. There are reports that he had even been involved in the investigation of his own crimes occasionally. [via Fresno Bee]
“DeAngelo was, by all accounts, a trustworthy and reliable man. He’d been awarded numerous medals for his 22-month service in Vietnam, where he purportedly lost a finger. He was educated and respected authority, as evidenced by his job as a cop.“via AllThatsInteresting.com
- The East Area Rapist / Original Night Stalker would often threateningly telephone his victims in advance. Out of several, a few have been recorded and would eventually be released by the FBI. DeAngelo would breathe menacingly in the phone, and then whisper things such as “Gonna kill you bitch, fucking whore!” [via Heavy.com]
- In 1979, he was caught shoplifting dog repellent and a hammer while he was a cop. This lead to him being put on probation for six months and fired from the force. [via NY Times]
- Joseph DeAngelo was arrested for the crime in 2018 after he had been caught using a public DNA database called GED match. [via BerkeleyLaw]
- After his arrest, details from the crimes back then began to make sense. One surviving victim heard him yelling “I hate you, Bonnie!” repeatedly. Joseph DeAngelo was with a woman named Bonnie at that time. [via Mercury News]
- Joseph DeAngelo was also married to a woman named Sharon Huddle for almost the entirety of his criminal career, with whom he fathered three children with. Victim testimony at the time said that a family could be heard in the background of his menacing phone calls. [via SF Gate]
- Many testimonials at the time also spoke on the suspect having a micro penis, or at least being very “under-endowed”. When Joseph DeAngelo was caught, he was court-ordered to have nude photographs taken for comparison to the evidence. Said photos would prove that Joseph DeAngelo is indeed under-endowed. [via InsideEdition.com]
- In his confession, Joseph DeAngelo spoke on his crimes being a manifestation of an inner demon named “Jerry”, which was causing him to act out of character and blood-thirsty. This exact “multiple personality” defense is famously the plot of the Edward Norton film Primal Fear, which tells of an “evil genius” teenager who kills someone and dodges any trouble with a similar defense. Joseph DeAngelo was obviously not so lucky. [via Oxygen.com]
Here is a great place to read about and discuss one of America’s most long-running and notorious True Crime timelines:
More from UrbanTrueCrime.com
The Hikari-Ultra rapper Cee Kay was once subject to a viral SayCheese interview, an NBA YoungBoy collaboration and several hit singles, Jail stints in the Arkansas system and shooting incidents would prove to almost fully stagnate his career by 2022.
A since deleted interview from an unknown Chi-town cameraman captured Oblock BossTop saying some certainly regrettable things on the topic of FBG Duck’s then-recent murder.
WeaponsG.com has compiled a collection of images showing off nine incredibly rare pharmaceutical drugs, with most of them being time pieces at this point. This article is possible because of the incredibly interesting /r/ObscureDrugs community on Reddit.
For years now, the curiously named “Squiidape” blog has been a dominating news source for the french drill fans out there, represented by a handful of young France-based men who are obviously some of the biggest appreciators of the music.
WeaponsG.com’s is pleased to share with the world “Thumbnail Generator”, a lightweight Windows 10 application used to create social media posts for news sites or blogs.
In a publicly accessible park in Poland, locals could venture to a somewhat remote forest area and find a small mausoleum (in disrepair) with more than a century of history. Upon entrance between 2016 and 2019, one was confronted by an abandoned Polish monster statue.
An alleged failed kidnapping in Lexington, Kentucky is making the rounds on Reddit recently after a video circulated showing a frantic young girl being assisted with removing tape from her hands and head in the middle of a street.
A video is going viral since yesterday (924K views currently) showing the aftermath of a man dropping a pound of weed all over his car.
A Florida congressional candidate named KW Miller tried to link dance music with America’s opioid crisis this week, to much dismay.
A lone gunman dressed as a FedEx driver targeted the home of a New Jersey federal judge named Esther Salas yesterday, shooting and killing her son Daniel Anderl at the doorstop. Her husband Mark Anderl was also shot and critically wounded.
An alleged member of the Latino Chicago gang “Two Six” recently appeared for a digital court date over Zoom and exposed himself as a federal informant on the livestream. The judge among others quickly caught the man and gave him a stern notice that his court date was being broadcast on YouTube.
Lil Moe is only 15 years old, and after uploading his first music video midway through June of this year (“6 Blocka”) he has already amassed hundreds of thousands of views. Fans are now hopeful for a Lil Moe rap career, but Lil Moe had his fame already from the “streets” side of the Chicago drill landscape.
Baton Rouge rapper and Fredo Bang affiliate Mieyoshi “Lit Yoshi” Edwards was arrested in his hometown recently, accused of two shootings that injured five people (including two children).
WeaponsG.com has compiled more than 30 videos from Twitter users highlighting the magnitude of George Floyd riots in America.
A Reddit user shared footage today of what appears to be an emaciated, zombie-like rat moving around beneath a dumpster (and rather quickly). Users are saying this footage comes from New York.